Thursday, March 1, 2012

80 Degrees and Running

Today was glorious, wasn't it? It started out a little dreary, but then the clouds broke apart and the temperature shot up by mid-afternoon. I might have spent 9 hours at a copy machine (only one...more...day), but I raced home and put on my tennis shoes.
Sadly, I don't run much these days. I have to be careful of high-impact activities with my back, and my hamstrings are no good for long distances. I hate this, because I absolutely love the rhythm and joy of running. I make the most out of the miles I get.

I always start out with at least a mile of brisk walking to fully warm up, and then I'll briefly stretch if I still feel stiff. I always slowly jog the second mile. I'm talking a 9-11 minute mile, people. If I take care of my legs on those first two miles, they'll usually give me an extra mile in the end. From there, I run how I feel like running. And of course, if I feel any discomfort in my legs (aches are fine, pains are not), then I stop immediately. It's easy to ignore discomfort when you've got them endorphins pumping through you, but you'll hate yourself the next day. I do, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment