Monday, March 5, 2012

Two-a-Days

I have the week off from work, so why not make a week of two-a-days out of it? It'd be nice to blast off a pound or two before I traipse off to Chicago. Here's my schedule:

Monday:
5:30pm - Kickboxing class
6:30pm - Indoor Cycling class

Tuesday:
12:00pm - Gravity strength training class
evening - Yoga video

Wednesday: 
morning - 15 min stairmaster, legs & back strength training
evening - 15 min stairmaster, Back to Abs class

Thursday:
morning - 15 min stairmaster, arms & shoulder strength training
evening - Jog(weather permitting) or Cardio X video

Friday:
12:00pm - Kickboxing class

Sat:
morning - 30 min stairmaster, Abs circuit training
evening - Christina's wedding!

Sunday:
4:00pm - Teach Indoor Cycling

In other news, my cycling book arrived in the mail! I have a lot of learning to do, including how to buy the right bike, courtesy and safety in traffic, changing a tire and other endless repair tasks...oh dear, mustn't get intimidated. I'm woefully ignorant, but we all have to start somewhere, huh?
It did have a moment of revelation today. After class, I approached my friend and co-instructor, Julia. I wanted to know the type of pedal that the spin bikes use, so I can get the same pedals on my bike. To explain, there are different types of cleats for cycling shoes, and you have to use the corresponding pedal for your cleat. Your cleat "clips in" to the pedal. Being "clipped in" to your pedal drastically increases your power. Rather than just stomping down on the front stroke, clipping in allows you to push down, pull back, pull up, and push forward with your pedal stroke. Way more efficient.
Now, I really should know the type of cleat I have on my shoes, but have long since forgotten. And Julia is an experienced spin instructor, yoga instructor, and cyclist. But hey, she didn't know either. We both looked at each other a little sheepishly, and she recommended I just take my shoes to the bike shop and get what they tell me to get. The truth is that we can't know everything, and even if we could, we'd probably forget some details.

No comments:

Post a Comment