Friday, January 25, 2013

New Toys

We had so much fun at the Hot Chocolate 15k, that we decided to try for a half marathon. So, of course, I need new toys!

First things first: I needed new running shoes. I was getting sore in the knees and hips, which is a sure sign that one's shoes are worn out. So I paid a trip to Foot Zone in Bend, Oregon. What an awesome place! The staff was wonderful and extremely knowledgeable. They put me on a treadmill equipped with cameras, so they could watch my stride in slow motion. Sure enough, my ankles and knees were rolling in badly with each step. This is called "pronation", and stems from the low arches in my feet. On top of that, I have narrow feet. All this lack of support was causing my ankles and knees to roll, which was making everything sore.
So Foot Zone fitted me in a highly supportive running shoe and an orthotic shoe insert. The Mizuno Alchemy running shoe is made for hapless pronators like me. The orthotic inserts replaced the footbeds that came in the shoes, and provided a little extra boost. What a difference! I've only been on one brief run, but it felt so much better. Each stride felt much more natural and easy.

Next toy? A GPS running watch! It's a Garmin Forerunner 110, the same brand as my cycling computer and heart rate monitor. That way I can sync both my cycling and running workouts. It will track my mileage, speed, heart rate, and calories burned.
I can't wait to lace up my new shoes, strap on my fancy GPS watch, and put on some mileage!

No comments:

Post a Comment