Sunday, April 17, 2011

Week 2 Complete!

Yay! I finished week 2! And I even fit in all my Ab Ripper X sessions, plus an extra Ab ribber (albeit an inebriated one) to make up for the one I missed last week. To explain, I threw a keg party on Friday night, and a fellow p90x-er challenged me to an Ab Ripper X competition. I brought it. It was simultaneously one of my finest and coarsest moments.










Today was Kenpo X day! I'm really starting to get the hang of the Kenpo - I didn't have trouble with my coordination this time, whereas I got discombobulated with my punches last week. My back-kicks were also much improved, although still a little shaky with the left foot. It's funny how the workout that I thought I'd hate is actually one of my favorites, and the workout that I thought I'd love is absolutely awful. And so it is: Kenpo X is really fun, and Yoga X is sheer torture.

I also bought a set of 10 lb weights today, because I've outgrown my 8 pounders for bicep curls and rows. Yay! I'm really excited about my progress. I've seen some improvement in my strength, and a lot of improvement in my balance and coordination. I didn't expect to see that in just 2 weeks, so I can't wait to see where I end up in 90 days!

My appetite has also picked up. Kelly want food! The protein shakes do a great job of preventing the post-workout refrigerator attack, and I've stocked my fridge with lots of fruit and soy milk for snacks throughout the day. This morning I got up and made a hefty Sunday brunch for Donovan and me. I had some leftover salsa from the Kegger on Friday night, so I foraged in the fridge and voila! Huevos Rancheros on biscuits with fresh fruit on the side. I want to share my salsa recipe, because it's great:

SALSA CRUDA - I doubled this recipe for a crowd. Otherwise it makes about 3 C.
- 1 1/2 lb firm, ripe tomatoes (I use the on-the-vine variety, never Roma)
- 1 large jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed (seeds minced and reserved for extra kick), chile minced
- 1/2 C minced red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 C minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 2-6 tsp fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- pinch sugar

1. Remove the stems and stem cores from the tomatoes. Cut into quarters. In batches, pulse in a food processor to about 3/8" dice. If you don't have a processor, chop it by hand.
2. Place a colander over a large bowl. Let tomatoes drain for 30 minutes.
3. While tomatoes drain, chop and layer the jalapeno, onion, garlic, and cilantro on top. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Return 1/4 C of drained juice to mixture, and discard the rest.
4. Add the salt, pepper, and 2 tsp lime juice.
5. Season with the minced jalapeno seeds, sugar, and additional lime juice to taste.

HUEVOS RANCHEROS - I made this recipe this morning without beans and with biscuits instead of of tortillas. Still great!
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 Tb vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tb unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 can refried beans (but I'd want black beans)
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C Salsa Cruda, or some inferior store-bought stuff in a jar
- 2 scallions, sliced thin

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly brush tortillas with vegetable oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread tortillas on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly golden on both sides, about 10 min, turning halfway through. Remove and turn off oven.
2. Meanwhile, preheat a 10" skillet over the lowest heat setting for 5 min. Melt and coat pan with butter. Crack 4 eggs in a bowl, and then gently pour into pan. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook to desired doneness, 2-4 min, over medium-low heat.
3. Spread beans over the top of each crisped tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Return to still-warm oven to heat beans and melt cheese.
4. Remove hot tortillas to plates. Top each with a fried egg. Garnish with salsa and scallions.

1 comment: